Building INFLUENCE SHOW
Watch Episode #07
About this episode
This is Episode 07 from Season 01 Education. Season 01 contains eight episodes featuring guests who work in education. Each episode features a single guest, looking at their personal lives and careers, considering their perspective as a leader and creator. These interviews are candid and unfiltered.
About Sri Ganes
Dato‘ Sri Ganes is the elected Vice President of the International Vocational Education and Training Association (IVETA), overseeing South Asia. He is also the honourable , Vice Chairman of Malaysia loT Association, commonly referred as ―MyIOTA‖ – the largest conglomerate association for industry players/stakeholders of IoT Technology in Malaysia.
A pioneer in the TVET and skill training in Malaysia, SG Education Group was founded in 1999 and consists of five skills training institutes which boast accreditation from various national and international certification bodies and universities.
A technology enthusiast, Dato’ Sri Ganes understands the critical need for industrial skills for the digital economy and has developed efficient methodologies to create and train talent to facilitate Digital Transformation. He holds an MBA from Cardiff Metropolitan University in the UK and a B.Sc (Hons) in Computing and Information Systems from Lincolnshire & Huberside University in the UK.
- I realised I had I jumped into a big project without really knowing the depth involved but this is where my journey started (05:52)
- My personal opinion is that we should not be the consumers of technology, we should be the developers as this is what provides more value (07:41)
- TVET equips talent with the skills needed in the workplace. Academic qualifications are not the be-all and end-all of the career journey. There is an oversupply of fresh graduates in Malaysia. TVET is not an alternative but is the educational process involving the study of technologies related to science (11:20)
- Jab jab hook strategy (13:10)
- You have to multiply your strengths (19:35)
- 2 – 3 things I do to put myself out there (20:25)
- Aspects of networking that I feel are really important (23:01)
- You cannot lead a crowd without being a listener. Choose your platform. Choose your network. Contribute where you can through articles or even a video (24:03)
- I don’t believe in these online meetings because I can’t really channel my energy to people there. I believe meeting people is important and that we should find avenues to make that happen post-COVID-19. But prior to COVID-19, I made sure that I didn’t meet people simply for leisure. We have to be very clear about our purpose and the time they have given to us to meet and there shouldn’t be any hard sell. Find mutual ground for discussion and connection and to build the right vibes (27:57)
- Making decisions about who I should connect with: Are they in my line of work, what are shared philosophies, what does the outreach looks like? (33:34)
- Digital transformation is both a technology and management challenge. It involves more than digital sales (39:25)
- Understand the customer journey (40:53)
- Discovering my strengths (43:10)
- Stumbling block and missteps (46:40)
- Every single customer is important – never forget day one (48:40)
- Failure is not new to me (50:55)
- We opened up all our elearning platforms for free during COVID-19 (53:05)